At Little Sunshines we have a database of professional and dedicated governesses and we are therefore able to assist families with governess placements. We are one of the ONLY agencies that does governess placements in South Africa.
What is a Governess:
- is generally aged between 25 to 50 years old
- has a valid drivers license
- has their OWN roadworthy vehicle
- is computer literate
- has passed Grade 12 (Matric or AS Levels etc.)
- has completed a first aid course
- has generally completed an au pair course
- generally has a teaching degree or diploma or other related degree or diploma
- has a minimum of 5 years au pair or similar experience
- has experience working with babies, toddlers and children of varying ages
- does NOT do any domestic work i.e. washing, ironing, cleaning the house etc.
- transports the children around to extra murals, appointments etc.
- runs errands like collecting the post, grocery shopping etc.
- cooks meals for the family
- assists with homework, school projects, test and exam preparation etc.
- liaises with the school and teachers about the child’s progress and reports back to the parents
- is able travel with the family when required
- is able to live with the children whilst the parents travel internationally
- is able to run a household i.e. systems, schedules, plans etc.
- is able to manage other staff working in the household
- is generally also a personal assistant to the family
- does not generally live-in though some do (this is not very common in South Africa)
- if she lives-in, it would be in a cottage or her own separate room with her own bathroom (this does NOT bring down the salary)
- generally works Monday to Friday though often Saturdays and sometimes Sundays when needed
- is generally available whenever the parents require at a moments notice
- earns an average of between R18 000 to R30 000 for full day
- is reimbursed by the family for petrol (though NOT to and from work)
- who does NOT earn overtime but DOES work overtime rather frequently given the nature of her position
- generally stays with a family for 2 years or longer
Governesses generally earn between R18 000 to R30 000 per month
Where the monthly salary is more than R17 500 per month, overtime pay is not applicable for additional hours worked
Governess Placement Fee
The agency charges a once off placement fee (we will supply a quotation) and there is a 6 month agency guarantee in place.
Many high-profile families, who are unable to be with their children due to their careers etc., employ governesses because they know their children and their household will be in the care of the very best that this industry can provide.
If you require a Governess simply contact us and we will gladly be of assistance!